Taika: Love spells of the midnight sun
Taika, Love spells of the midnight sun
Inspired by the Nordic festival of Mid-Sommer Eve in the light filled summer days of Finland, please meet Taika, our Linen Collection.
Magic spells are woven into the landscapes of Finland, the homeland of our creative director, Loviisa Mäenpää. These songs are echoed in the tapestry that tells the Indigo Luna story.
We have woven luck, courage & serenity into our raw linen cloth & lovingly cut & sewn these pieces into timeless garments for you.
Mid-Sommer Eve is the summer solstice festival of Finland. The tradition has deep roots into the Fins pagan ancestors, who would dance around the maypole in celebration of fertility & good harvest.
The essence of these earth-honouring traditions has been carried forward to today. Mökki is the name for a summer house in Finland, a place for the gathering of family & friends in nature during the endless daylight hours.
"Braid flowers into your hair. Dance with your bare feet on the earth. Vibrate with the cosmic rhythm of oneness"
Here are some Finnish Rituals you can weave into your summer:
1. Sacred Fire. Write down your worries on a piece of paper and burn to cleanse and purify old energy.
2. Roll in Dew. Dew was believed to have a healing effect and rolling in it would make you healthy and beautiful. Go and find a field and let the dew absorb into your skin.
3. Collect Seven Flowers. After roaming through gardens picking the seven flowers that speak to you the most, place them under your pillow and pay attention to your dreams that night.
4. Foresee from Threads. Go to a field of barley, or kangaroo grass if you’re in Australia, or any native grass in your area. Tie three different colours together while deciding the meaning for each one. This is a way to ensure all areas of your life proceed in harmony and alignment.
5. Sauna. Tie your flowers and braided grass into a bath whisk, adding fresh leaves to the bunch. Slap it against your skin to stimulate blood flow during a hot sauna. You can also do this in a hot shower.
6. Dance Parties. Dance with your bare feet on the earth for grounding and connection to self and community in equal measure. Offer this joy to your ancestors.
7. Listen to the First Sound. In the wee hours of the night, climb up somewhere high to a place where it is easy to hear surrounding sounds. Your next love will come from the same direction of the first sound of the morning. If you hear music, it means an approaching wedding. If you hear a child crying, it is a sign of birth.
8. Magic Spells. The solstice and equinox are powerful times of year for making magic.
Have a look at the full range: Taika Linen/Organic Cotton