We invited our dear friend @natural_harry to share a delicious spring recipe for you that is full of nourishment for the changing season.
Eating root veggies is a wonderful way of connecting with the earth to ground your digestion, and eating organic ensures your body absorbs as many nutrients as possible from food. Making good habits out of eating unprocessed whole foods instead of processed manufactured food keeps your body in good stead for fighting off free radicals and toxins. Our health is precious.
Here are some of the health benefits from @natural_harry Spring Recipe for you to enjoy!
Black Rice: rich in antioxidants, aids weight loss and supports eye and heart health.
Lentils: quality plant-based protein, rich in dietary fibre, a nutritional powerhouse that supports digestion and weight loss.
Kale: a superfood loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially essential B vitamins.
Herbs: herbs have been used since ancient times for their medicinal properties, not only do they add a boost of flavour, they are cleansing, detoxifying and anti-inflammatory.
Almonds: helps the body break down carbs and fats into fuel and loaded with magnesium.
Beautiful Hearty Spring Salad
Serves 4 (or double as a side)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
3/4 cup black rice
2 bunch ( approx. 400g ) baby carrots, multi coloured if you like, washed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon real maple syrup (or local honey)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 bunch kale, stalks removed and finely shredded
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup tightly packed fresh herbs of choice, chopped (I used dill and parsley)
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons baby capers
3 tablespoons hulled tahini
1/3 cup plant based milk (I used oat)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 cup loosely packed fresh mint, stalks removed
To serve (optional):
1/2 cup quick pickled onion
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan forced.
2. Line a baking dish with baking paper and add your carrots. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine, evenly spread out. Place in the oven to roast for 40 minutes.
While your carrots cook;
3. Rinse the black rice well. Half fill a medium saucepan with water and add the black rice. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for approx. 20 minutes. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
4. In the large salad bowl you intend to serve the salad in, combine the kale, the rest of the olive oil, juice of the lemon and a generous pinch of salt. Massage the kale between your hands until it begins to soften.
5. Place your almonds in a cold frypan over medium heat and toss or stir while they toast (adding nuts to a cold frypan to begin with will help to prevent them from burning.)
6. Make your dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a blender. Pulse to combine and blend until well combined and smooth ( you can also add your ingredients to a jug and use an immersion blender to blend ).
Layer your salad components into the bowl over the kale, finishing with the roasted carrots, almonds and quick pickled onion if you are adding it. Toss and serve with a generous bowl of dressing and enjoy.
Health + harmony = happiness.
Our health is precious. Love your body temple and eat the rainbow.